Notes from the Manager
So… yeah! I’m sure some of you will want to discuss Elysium below, but please keep the comments below spoiler-free for people who haven’t seen it yet. No “spoiler warnings,” just… you know, discuss it without unreasonable spoilers.
My take: it’s pretty dumb. As an action movie, it’s fun, and there are some great effects in it, but the way the premise plays out is like is about as sophisticated as an eight year old wishing for world peace. It just doesn’t explore its ideas with any depth.
I wouldn’t say Elysium is District 9 all over again, personally, but some critics have, so I thought I’d make Jason think that. In any case, District 9 is the smarter movie, the more engaging movie, and the better action movie because of it.
(I think they’re different enough, but I think a lot of people were hoping Elysium would be as different from District 9 as District 9 was from… well, every science fiction movie before it. Except for maybe Alien Nation. What we got was… very much a companion piece. I hope Neill Blomkamp stretches his range a little bit more next time around.)
Please be sure to check out the post below re: Multiplex T-shirts and being a model and whatnot!
Multiplex News & Updates
Bonus comics, drawings, and
other awesome stuff
Saturday, July 1, 2017
Chapter 16 collects strips #339 –362 from the Multiplex archives, plus four bonus comics and one “extended scene” not found in the archives! Chapter 16 costs $1.99.
Supporting the Multiplex chapter eBooks helps make future Multiplex print collections possible. Thank you for your support!
Other Recent Posts
- Multiplex: The Revenge is now available!
- Multiplex Movie Review: Joe Dante’s Burying the Ex (2014)
- Come meet me at Wizard World Philadelphia (June 2–4 only)
- Multiplex 10: the animated short is now (officially) in pre-production
- Multiplex 10: the comic book?! (addition to the $20k stretch goal)
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter project ends in THREE DAYS
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter has SIX DAYS TO GO
- Multiplex 10: Good Talk
- Multiplex 10: Hyrule Isn’t Going to Save Itself
- Say hello to Kurt and Jason